Date: May 9 & 10, 2014
Venue: Silliman Hall, Silliman University, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental
Mary Ellen Erickson, B.A., Managing Director and co-founder, Griefworks
Boy Abunda, Award-winning Host TV Personality
Seminar Over-All Objective:
To equip participants with the knowledge and skills for dealing with the realities of grief and caring for the gravely ill with compassion, guided by Biblical principles.
Presentation Topics and Secondary Objectives are:
- Grief 101: Acquainted with Grief – Gives the participant a deeper understanding of grief as a very human response to separation and loss. This session coaches participants to identify the triggers and manifestations of grief and links these insights to strategies for managing grief. Objectives are as follows:
- Understand that grief is a very human response to separation and loss;
- Identify how grief is manifested and what triggers it;
- Learn strategies for managing grief;
- Differentiate between two dominant “styles” of grieving; and
- Gain information on recent changes in understanding grief.
- The Healing Journey Through Grief – Presents the needs of a person grieving a death as well as the different factors that impact how a person grieves. A significant portion of this module discusses tips on how to help oneself in the grieving process as well as practical ways of helping someone with their grief. It will also provide the participants links and resources to assist the process. Objectives are as follows:
- Know the need of a person grieving a death;
- Learn different factors that impact how a person grieves;
- List tips on how to help oneself in the grieving process; and
- Know strategies on helping someone with their grief.
- Grief Through The Looking Glass – with Mr. Boy Abunda . During this session, there will be poetry reading of Ms. Ma. Luisa Igloria’s poems, to be read by Boy.
- Straight Talk About Caregiving – Presents an honest look at the cost and complications of caregiving. The module likewise, explores the world of caregiving, with insights that will validate, support and equip caregivers. A substantial portion of the module will discuss tools and tips to improve the quality of life for both the caregiver and the patient. Objectives are as follows:
- Explore the world of caregiving by providing principles that will validate, support and equip caregivers;
- Show an honest look at the cost and complications of care giving;
- Provide tools for improving the quality of life for both the caregiver and the patient; and
- Tools for Managing Caregivers’ Stress.
- Living With Life-Threatening Illness – Attempts to connect with those going through illness by exploring the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social realities of the patient. Apart from this, the module will enlighten the participant to the perceived world of illness and health care as the patient lives it. Objectives are as follows:
- Perceive the world of illness and healthcare as the patient lives it; and
- Explore the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social realities of the patient.
- Emotional First Aid at the time of Crisis
- Critical Incident Stress Management
In between the sessions will be interactive learning sessions.
Registration Guidelines and details
To register, just fill up the registration form below and send this accomplished Registration Form to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 723.1058. For inquiries, call the following numbers:
Manila: (632) 723.1058 or 0932-854-8459/60